• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Seeing things that arent really there?

NjDancer

Greenlighter
I dont mean this is full on hallucinations and such, but sometimes i will see something out of the corner of my eye form as i look towards it. However, as i draw my eyes completely on it, it disappears.
This happens usually in darker places and i actually see some kind of missing spot or dark 3d shape. Sometimes i think its a shadow or something.
Are these just normal defects in the human sensory system? Does anyone else feel this sometimes??

I wanna make sure im not just psyching myself out on this but this has even happened as a kid. However it wasnt as much; but a noticable example is one time i saw a wireframe face right in front of me when right after waking up.

Last edited:
I don't know... I just heard that as a result of human's evolving from cavemen, where life was basically kill or be killed, we developed instincts that warn us of something, even if it isn't actually there.

Could be you're just psyching yourself out, or maybe you're more caveman than most of us? ;)

I think the biggest mystery in life is the human brain and we will never understand it. All of them are different and do things we dont understand. I like to think that the brain evolves with every generation. That its slowing expanding. which is why we as humans are always getting smarter. so one day we can have an explanation for things like these:)

In psychiatry mistaking something for something else for a second, like a garden hose a snake is called a illusion. It is regarded as not being symptomatic or indicative of a problem.

People who do a lot of stimulants or are sleep deprived some times get "shadow people" stuff where they are almost hallucinating entities in their peripheral vision but whenever they go to look directly its gone.

I agree with changed that you could just be psyching your self out, having a temporary over sensitivity or over concern with a lot of stimulus that is there ordinarily and not a real problem.

Your health, sleeping, imbibing of substances, etc are all good and at usual levels?

People who do a lot of stimulants or are sleep deprived some times get "shadow people" stuff where they are almost hallucinating entities in their peripheral vision but whenever they go to look directly its gone.
[...]
Your health, sleeping, imbibing of substances, etc are all good and at usual levels?
This. Are you on any stimulants? Coffee/Caffeine and energy drinks included. Are you getting enough sleep?

When I was working the night shift and doing lots of stimulants (close to 12 cups of coffee strength-wise on some nights when I wasn't doing coke or mmcat)... Was also smoking a ton of pot, before and after work... I'd frequently see (out of the corner of my eye) a shadowy figure standing off in the distance (sometime as close as ~30 feet away).

Stopped the drugs and whodathunk it--The shadowy figures stopped!

This happens to everyone from time to time. You are sleep deprived, low blood pressure, have anxiety, etc. They will go away after awhile.

One time when I was younger driving home from a friend's house still pretty high late at night I swear I hit a small child. I even stopped the car, thinking I felt a bump, but nothing was there. Fast forward a year or two later and at the exact same spot I saw another small child that I once again "ran over."

It's not uncommon for me to see things out of the corners of my eyes. It's weird and sometimes disturbing when you are alone or it's dark and eerie but just a figment of the imagination. I still have a good laugh about that incident. Thinking I killed an innocent child at 2am on some back windy road sent the worst thoughts echoing throughout my brain.